Sunday, December 27, 2009

Karaoke


The very thought of jumping on stage to do karaoke, Captain and Coke in hand, puts a smile on my face. I like to sing. I like to perform. I am what is commonly referred to as a ham.
Karaoke is not for everyone. Unfortunately, some people don't know it's not for them, and want it to be anyway. These people are commonly referred to as "American Idol Audition Rejects".
In what other place is it perfectly acceptable to hear "I Will Survive" sung horrifically out of tune? It's Bad Breakup Girl's ANTHEM. If given the opportunity to do a second song, it's always Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know".
There's Drunk Guy singing Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places".
My personal favorite is Girl Who Takes Karaoke Seriously. She brings her own cd's because the ones the dj has aren't good enough. She has a decent voice, but it's hard to look past the overly showy hand gestures and delusions of grandeur.
When I go to a karaoke night, I have a rotation of a few go-to songs. I like to sing Blind Melon's "No Rain" because Shannon Hoon's tenor is easy on my voice.
I like The Cardigans' "Love Fool" because it's fun and flirty. Sometimes I change it up with No Doubt's "Just a Girl" for the same reason.
The mother of all karaoke songs, the epic grand finale to any karaoke night: "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.
I choose this song for the end of the night because everyone in the bar knows it and will be drunk enough to sing along. I also choose this song because Freddie Mercury was the man.
What are your karaoke favorites? Do you have any funny stories of downright painful karaoke performances?

No comments:

Post a Comment