Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hep Cat Boo Daddies at Elwood's Dixie BBQ


It's no secret the Hep Cat Boo Daddies are good friends of mine, so when I learned they were going on an indefinite hiatus, I made it a point to attend their show this past Saturday at Elwood's Dixie BBQ in Delray Beach. I stepped in halfway through a song, taking a seat at an empty table up front. I settled in with a Magner's, propping my feet up on the chair in front of me, readying myself for three sets of HCBD.

I focused first on Joel, watching him play and sing like I have done so many times over the years I've lost count. He played carefully, with alternating focus and ease. In a conversation we had after the set, I told him I've enjoyed watching him grow as a musician. He has become even more proficient of a player, and his stage presence is more electric than I've ever seen it.

I turned my attention to Evil, the bass playing embodiment of cool. Standing off to one side sporting his trademark shades, he makes playing look so effortless that I'd be tempted to jump up there and jam myself. He's always a joy to watch.


George is a fine addition on the skins, having replaced Randy Blitz several months ago. He was all smiles and even sang a couple of covers, including "Folsom Prison Blues".

By the second set, the boys started breaking out some tracks from HotRodSexGod, which did not leave my cd player for approximately the entire length of the summer of 2007. I tapped my bottle to the table in time with George's drums, singing along with Joel.

The third set was a half hour, anything goes impromptu jam with a roundtable of musicians that happened to be at the gig. Joel invited me up to sing a song, but I was caught off guard and didn't know what we'd all be familiar with so I declined. I'd gladly take him up on the offer another night, as sharing a stage with him would be my pleasure, indeed.

Catch the last Hep Cat Boo Daddies performance before hiatus at Big Easy Bar and Grill in Hollywood: Saturday, June 18th.

You can also check out Joel's new band: Joel DaSilva and the Midnight Howl

No comments:

Post a Comment