Monday, September 28, 2009

The Reality Show Phenomenon

Admit it: You've stood, at least once in your life, in front of your mirror and sang the words to your favorite song. You've sung "It's My Party" into your hairbrush. You've belted out Singin' in the Rain in your shower. You've cruised I-95 with the windows down and screamed Highway To Hell. But would you do it in front of your friends...let alone a nation of millions of people you have never met?
If you answered no, that's perfectly normal. If you've answered yes, you're probably an American Idol wannabe or reject.
What is it about reality shows like Idol and America's Got Talent that suck us in? My friends and I watch for the liquor shot game...whomever gets told off most viciously by Simon in the auditons has to go bottoms up. Some people watch to see who fails, while others watch to see who takes the cake. My mom watches relgiously every week, celebrating each victory and mourning the losses of the good ones.
Secretly (or maybe not so secretly) I think we all just wanna be rockstars.

Listening: Jimmy Eat World-Chase This Light
Quote: "I write the songs that make the whole world sing/I write the songs of love and special things"~Barry Manilow

No comments:

Post a Comment