Monday, March 22, 2010

Musical Genres

I was browsing a website that breaks up music by subgenres, and I was surprised to see labels for things I'd never heard of. Everyone knows Rock, Hip-Hop, and Classical. But have you heard of musique concrete or Filk? Do you know the difference between traditional jazz music and free jazz?
Pirate metal and wizard rock are both actual genres, the latter being based on the Harry Potter novel series. No, I'm not joking. If there's a concept for music, it's probably already been done. The list of rock genres alone is staggering. Exactly how much do you need to break your music down, classifying and reclassifying it?
I'll just stick with listening to things I like, staying away from things I don't, and avoiding labels altogether.
Do you have a favorite obscure music genre?

No comments:

Post a Comment