Saturday, January 30, 2010

Five Musicals I Love


Moulin Rouge- A lot of critics skewered this movie, but it's one of my favorites, musical or otherwise. Ewan McGregor is a dream to watch and hear, and Baz Luhrmann makes visually stunning movies. A winning combination, in my opinion.

Rocky Horror Picture Show- I've watched this on Halloween every year since long before I realized just how fucked up it truly is. My favorite number is the highly underrated "Hot Patootie". You can make fun of me all you want, but Meatloaf OWNS in that scene. Though I love this movie, I rarely make it to the end. It drags, and the stage/pool scene is weird and kind of out of place to me.

The Music Man- Perhaps I'm partial because it was the first play I performed in as a teenager, but The Music Man is great. Wholesomeness, good songs, and the charismatic Harold Hill. I knew for the first time I wasn't alone in my Music Man geekery when I saw the entire "Shipoopi" number made into a Family Guy routine. Seth McFarlane also nods to Music Man with Lois as the piano teacher, just like Marion.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch- Because how many other musicals do you know that have a transgendered rockstar from communist East Berlin? Best song? Sugar Daddy, hands down.

Phantom of the Opera- A classic that never goes out of style. Solid story, beautifully composed music, need I say more?

Honorable Mention: The Fantasticks.

What is your favorite musical?

No comments:

Post a Comment