Monday, January 11, 2010

Musicians as Restauranteurs


What is it about the marriage of food and music that drives so many musicians to open their own restaurants?
Are they following the old saying "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry"? Or is it more along the lines of "What else can I do that I can slap my name on and earn more money?"
The most recent addition of a restaurant co-owned by a musician is in my own backyard: Rock n' Roll Ribs in Coral Springs, FL. RnR Ribs is owned by Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain. (Insert drummer joke here.) Though I have not had the opportunity to eat there, a glance at the menu shows standard BBQ joint fare at reasonable prices.
Everyone from Justin Timberlake to Chris Cornell has tried their hand at the restaurant biz. Some, like Jay-Z's 40/40 Club, have been extremely successful. Others, like Britney Spears' NyLa, were not.
I'm always game to try new restaurants. Food is something I love almost as much as music. The question is, is the food as good as the gimmick?
Have you ever eaten at a celebrity-owned restaurant? How was it?


4 comments:

  1. I haven't been either, but I've heard great things about McBrain's rib joint. Maybe it turns out at least one musician can serve up good food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to check it out, Eric. Maybe I'll make a run some time this week. I'll let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music and Meat? Maiden meat??? I can't recall celebrity and food having a great marriage. Always seems to fizzle and lack the sizzle. Foshizzle?

    ReplyDelete